– Master Naturalist Spring Training Course. Eagle Bluffs Conservation Headquarters, Missouri. Tuesday evenings from 6 – 9 p.m. starts March 4th – May 13th , 2014. Info and registration: http://extension.missouri.edu/boone/masternaturalist.aspx
– Annual Tri-State Forestry Conference, Saturday, March 8, 2014. Sinsinawa County, Wisconsin. For more information: http://www.extension.iastate.edu/forestry/tri_state/introduction.html
– High Value Orchard Crops Course. Iowa City and Wapello, Iowa. Over the next year, four hands-on, experiential classes on how to successfully transform a landscape of any size into a high-yielding orchard. First session is March 8th. Info & Registration: http://www.backyardabundance.org/
– Permaculture Conference. March 13-16, 2014 in Temecula, CA. Featured agroforestry topics include M.Shepard – Restoration Agriculture; M.Gold – Chestnuts; G. Judy – grazing. Information at http://www.permaculturevoices.com/
– Agroforestry Training Academy professional development workshop – July 21-15, 2014. Winona State University, Winona, Minnesota.
Planning is underway for a 2014 agroforestry training academy in Minnesota. Primary sponsors are University of Minnesota Extension, the Mid-American Agroforestry Working Group (MAAWG) and the USDA National Agroforestry Center (NAC). (A 2013 Academy hosted by the Center for Agroforestry at the University of Missouri was held in August,)
– Society of American Foresters 2013 Convention – October 23-27, 2013. Charleston, South Carolina. Details at http://www.eforester.org/natcon13/index.
– Marketing the native understory: selling driftless hazelnuts, aronia & mushrooms direct to chefs – June 27, 2013.
Viroqua/Viola, Wisconsin. Limited registration ($10 fee). Details at http://www.cias.wisc.edu/marketing-the-native-understory/ Hosted by: Rooted Spoon Culinary, Viroqua, WI, and New Forest Farm, Viola, WI, in collaboration with the Hazelnut Development Initiative, the Midwest Aronia Growers Association, and the UW Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems
– NAAC Agroforestry 2013 Conference – June 19-21, 2013. Charlottestown, Prince Edward Island, Canada. Sponsored by Association for Temperate Agroforestry. Details at http://aftaweb.org/naac.php
– First International Symposium on Elderberry – June 9-14, 2013. Columbia, Missouri. Sponsored by Center for Agroforestry, University of Missouri. Details at http://muconf.missouri.edu/elderberrysymposium/
– Howard County (Iowa) Forestry Field Day – Tuesday, June 11, 2013.
Lake Hendricks, Riceville. 12:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Tree planting demonstration: learn about site conditions and species selection, pruning. Learn about buckthorn control: mechanical, herbicide and prescribed fire. Presented by staff from Howard County NRCS, Iowa Department of Natural Resources Forestry and Iowa State University Extension and Outreach.
More details & directions at Howard County ISU Extension website.
– Midamerican Agroforestry Working Group Planning Meeting, “From Seedling to Sapling: Advancing Agroforestry into Working Landscapes” – March 18-19. Ames, Iowa. Hosted by the Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture at Iowa State University and the Center for Agroforestry at the University of Missouri. For information, contact Ann Y. Robinson or Jeri Neal . Read the summary and highlights of the March 2013 meeting.
– Tri-State Forestry Association Meeting – March 9, 2013. Sinsinawa Mound Center near Dubuque, Iowa. Sponsored by Iowa State University Forestry Extension. Details at: